8/25/2008

Olympic Blues

Does anybody else get sad at the end of the Olympics, like you're saying goodbye to a really good summer and you won't see those friends again? I always get like that, but I haven't the foggiest idea why.

The first Olympics I can remember are the Barcelona games from 1992, and every time they get to the montage at the end of the games the room I'm in gets all dusty. Seriously, it's not like I sit around for 3 years yearning for NBC's Tim Daggett and Elfi Schlegel to agonize about 14 year old Chinese gymnasts.

That being said, it certainly is awesome when the entire world can hit pause, or at least slow down, (except for Russia, apparently) on all its chaos to come together and do the amazing. Run faster, swim faster, and win more golds than what has ever been done before. Ever.

I kick myself that over every four years I eventually forget the fact we get that gift... every four years, like a great Christmas present for the world to see. And by the end of it, I'm always sad to see it go.

No comments: